Sub-letting & Lodgers

We understand that you may wish to share their home with another person outside of your immediate household, for financial reasons. As part of your tenancy agreement, you're allowed to take in a lodger/boarder or sub-let part of your home, as long as it doesn't become overcrowded.

A lodger

A lodger is someone who pays to rent a room in your home. They share the living space and facilities with you.

A sub-tenant

A sub-tenant is someone who pays rent to live in part of your home. The sub-tenant will have exclusive use of at least one room; this means you won’t be able to enter their part of your home without their permission. If you rent a property with us, you're not allowed to sub-let all of your home. However, if you are a shared owner or leaseholder, then you are allowed to sub-let all of your home.  

If you want to take in a lodger or choose to sub-let part of your home, you'll need our permission. In both cases, you must let us know their name, age and gender. We’ll also need to know how much you’ll be charging them to stay with you (this cannot be more than the rent we charge you). If you're claiming Housing Benefit, you can keep the first £20 of any rent that a lodger/boarder pays you. But 50% of anything made after that will be taken from your Housing Benefit.

If you have a sub-tenant or lodger and you decide to give up your tenancy, you need to make sure they leave your home. If they don’t, you’ll still be responsible for the tenancy which means you’ll have to carry on paying rent. 

Click here to read our Policy on Sub-letting 

Leaving your home temporarily

If you’re going away for more than 28 days you’ll need to tell us:

  • Where you are going
  • When you think you’ll be back
  • Whether anyone will be staying at your home while you’re away

While you’re away, you’re still responsible for making sure your rent is paid. You also need to make sure anyone who stays or visits your home sticks to your tenancy agreement. If you don’t pay your rent, or your house-sitter breaks any tenancy rules, we may have to take action against you.