Being a Shared Owner

As a shared owner, you may wish to buy more shares in your home. Or you could decide to sell it. As you own a percentage of your home, there are things you need to take into account when you buy more shares or sell up. 

Our Shared Ownership Handbook Shared Ownership Handbook has lots of useful information.

For more information please click the links below:

Selling my home  

Buying more shares in my home

For more information, please contact our Customer Services Team on: 
01372 814000


Shared Ownership Handbook

Shared Ownership Handbook

Everything you need to know about being in a shared ownership scheme with Rosebery is covered in our Shared Ownership Handbook.

This includes information about your lease, your local area, rent, staircasing, responsibilities for your home and how Rosebery operates.

To download the Handbook, please click here: Rosebery Shared Ownership Handbook.pdf





Buying more shares in your home is called ‘staircasing’. It means that you can own more of your home and the more shares you buy, the less rent you have to pay us.

You can usually staircase up to 100% of your property and this should take four stages (your lease will confirm if you can do this)

  • Contact us when you want to buy more shares and we’ll arrange for an independent valuation to be carried out at a cost to you
  • The valuer will contact you to arrange a time to visit your home
  • When you receive the valuation, let us know in writing or email how much more you want to buy
  • Find a solicitor to act for you (you’ll be responsible for the fees)
  • The valuation lasts for three months and you’ll need to complete your purchase within this time.

Staircasing to 100%:
  • If you live in house, you’ll become the freeholder of your home and you’ll need to have buildings insurance. If you live on a development with communal areas, you’ll also have to pay a share of the cost to upkeep them
  • If you live in a flat, you’ll become a leaseholder and pay service charges for things like building insurance, cleaning to communal areas and repairs to the building
  • If you sell your property within three months of owning 100% at a higher value, you have to repay a percentage of the profit back to us. This repayment is based on the extra shares you purchased during the final transaction.

Reselling My Home

If you tell us that you want to sell your share, your property has to be valued by an independent expert who is an associate or fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). We can arrange this for you, although you will have to pay for the cost.

How much can I sell my share for?

The valuer will contact you to arrange a visit to your home

  • They will then decide the amount you can sell your home for
  • For example, if the property is valued at £200,000.00 and you own 50% of it, you can sell your share for £100,000.00.

You’ll need to pay for a solicitor to act on your behalf and provide an energy performance certificate.

How do I sell?

If you tell us you want to sell your home, we will try to find someone to buy your share. Rosebery have a nomination period. This is usually 8 or 12 weeks where we’re allowed to find a buyer for your share (you cannot sell on the open market during this time).

  • Your lease will explain the specific length of time we have for this period
  • If we find someone to buy your share, you’ll have to pay us a fee of 1% plus VAT of the value
  • You’ll also have to pay for the valuation and our legal costs.

If your lease is subject to a head lease, there may be extra costs by the freeholder. If you’re unsure whether this applies to you, please call our Customer Services Team on 01372 814000

What happens if you do not find me a buyer?

You’re then allowed to sell your share on the open market once the nomination period has ended.

  • On the day the sale is completed, you buy the rest of the shares and sell them on at the same time
  • The valuation only lasts three months, so if it runs out before you complete the sale, you’ll need to pay for another valuation

Your solicitor will pay us the monies we’re owed and if you sell the property for more than the valuation, the money we get will be based on the sale price.